As winter comes to an end, it’s time to think about spring pool maintenance. One of the most important aspects of this process is cleaning your automatic pool cover, which has protected your pool during the colder months. Especially when you use an auto pool cover as a winter cover. In this comprehensive guide, we will discuss the necessary steps to take in order to effectively clean and maintain your automatic pool cover after winter, ensuring it remains in top condition.
1. Inspect the pool cover
Before starting the cleaning process, it’s essential to thoroughly inspect the pool cover for any damage, such as tears or fraying. If you’re unsure about what to look out for, you can refer to these 7 essential tips for pool cover maintenance in Canada.
Key aspects to inspect:
- Overall condition of the cover
- Tears, fraying or broken parts
- Proper attachment to the pool deck
2. Remove debris from the cover
After inspecting the cover, the next step is to remove debris such as leaves, twigs, and dirt.
Tips for removing debris:
- Use a soft brush or broom
- Avoid using sharp objects that may damage the cover
- Work in sections to ensure thorough cleaning
3. Clean the cover
Once debris is removed, it’s time to clean the cover. You can use a mild detergent or a pool cover cleaner specifically designed for this purpose.
- Dilute the cleaner as per manufacturer’s instructions
- Apply the cleaner to the cover with a soft brush or sponge
- Gently scrub the cover to remove dirt and stains
- Rinse the cover thoroughly with clean water
4. Inspect and clean the cover’s tracks and mechanisms
Cleaning the tracks and mechanisms of your automatic pool cover is vital for smooth operation. Be sure to remove any debris or dirt that may have accumulated over the winter. Lubricate the tracks and mechanisms as needed, following the manufacturer’s guidelines.
5. Check the cover’s water pump and drainage system
6. Allow the cover to dry completely
Before retracting the cover, make sure it is completely dry. This prevents mould and mildew growth and protects the cover’s fabric.
Properly cleaning and maintaining your automatic pool cover after winter is crucial for preserving its functionality and longevity. Following the steps outlined in this guide will help you get your pool cover ready for the spring and summer months.
GET A POOL COVER QUOTE FROM A LOCAL INSTALLER
Fill out the form. A pool cover installer near you will reply promptly!